Saturday, September 27, 2008

Another lesson in washing clothes

I yet again made a stupid mistake when it comes to washing clothes. I washed Jesse's nice work clothes and all Masons to Clothes he got for his birthday. Well when I pulled them out of the dryer and started to fold them I notice big spots of blue all over the clothes . Apparently Jesse had a pen in his pocket and the pen exploded in the dryer. Although I checked all the pant pockets I failed to check the pockets to his shirts.

Of course this stressed me out cause I didn't want to have to buy all new work clothes for Jesse and new clothes for Mason. I decided to Google it and see what I could find out about getting ink out. Hair spray was the answer however most of what I read on the internet said it was hopeless if I dried them, which of course I did. Well I came across this post and they said they scrubbed the ink with hair spray then used 1 cup of baking soda and 4 scoops of oxi clean filled the washer in hot water and let the oxi clean and baking soda sit for a few minutes then added the clothes and agitated them for a few minutes let them sit for 30 minutes then washed them and all the ink came out. So it was off to the store for some supplies.

Once all was said and done I started the long process of trying to get the ink out. Since the warm water to the washer leaked we had to shut off the hot water valves to the washer so I hade to put 5 pots on the stove let them get hot then I used that water to soak and wash the clothes. Luckily most of the stains came out. I think all but one of Jesse's shirts and that one was stained the most. I'm surprised as much ink came out of it as it did. I'm soaking and washing it again to see if Maybe I can get it out the rest of the way. Anyway what a relief all though one shirt may be ruined I saved the rest of the clothes. Another lesson I had to learn about washing clothes and checking pockets. :)

1 comment:

Flee said...

I'm glad that you got it all out! that's awesome! I have used hair spray on fresh ink stains and it worked really well. don't you love learning new tricks?